Monday, June 17, 2013

will of steel

Swimming is over.  Cue the celebration choir.

Thursday's lesson was a disaster of epic proportions.  In fact, had I not witnessed it with my own eyes I would never have believed the screams I heard were from Reese.  Reese is many things, but screamer is not one of them.  Until Thursday when he had to swim where he couldn't touch. 

It was bad, y'all.  And so we reassessed and Friday didn't push so hard.  After lessons Friday, Reese and I met Haley {intern extraordinaire} at her dad's house so Reese could swim in his pool.  Little Nemo was perfectly content to swim and splash were he could touch, barely leaving the safety of the stairs.

Sigh.

Saturday we went to the lake for Sally's birthday.  Reese had already told us that he didn't care if Brenan and Analee were swimming in the deep {with life jackets, of course}, he wasn't going to.  And for the first half of the day he didn't.  He played right were he could touch.  But as the afternoon went on he slowly got braver and began inching into deeper water.  Anytime he swam deeper, we told him he was brave, but we kind of left it at that.

The other kiddos were jumping off the dock and as the day wore on Reese decided he would, too.  It took a long time.  Full of lots of walking onto the dock and changing his mind.  But finally he jumped.  And then he didn't want to stop.

The lesson in all of this is that Reese has to do things in his own time, when he wants to.  No amount of bribery or peer pressure works.  We learned that last year at the dentist, too.  And with riding his bike.  Which actually he decided last week he was ready to ride.  And so he did.  Eight months after we gave it to him.  

This child of mine, I love him so.

No comments: