Tuesday, January 14, 2014

16 weeks

As I read back over my blog I feel a little guilty.  I'm neglecting to capture this second pregnancy and now here we are -- four weeks shy of halfway through!

Let's get to the big news first.  It's a...


Truthfully, we would have been happy either way.  I do think I'm a pretty jam up boy mama, though.  Reese would agree.  He also really wanted a brother.  All afternoon he's bounced around talking about all the things he can teach his "little brother."  I'm a puddle.

The only reason we thought it might be a girl is because this pregnancy has been really different.  It's hard to know why-- I surmise it's the increase in age {31 as opposed to a spry 25, yikes!}, but I also know our lives are a lot fuller now with work and church and a five year old.


The sickness has been brutal, but this week I seemed to have turned a corner.  I'm so thankful for that.  The exhaustion has passed as well.  Although I'm definitely tired at night and go to sleep easily, my pregnancy insomnia is the real deal.  I had it with Reese, too.  I'm awake most nights between 1:00 and 3:00, sometimes earlier. The headaches aren't as frequent, but they still hit me about once a week.  If I'm at work I take two tylenol, turn off the overhead lights, and drink a diet dr. pepper.  It's not a perfect fix, but I can function.  At home, I take the medicine my OB gave me and go to bed.

As far as weight, I started tenish pounds lighter this pregnancy and then lost a few in the first two months.  I'd be willing to bet my first born that I've gained them back in the last month, as my pants are getting a little snug.

The strangest thing to me about this pregnancy is really the lack of time I spend thinking about it.  It's not that I forget I'm pregnant, but it isn't our sole focus like it was the first time.  Lofton and I are both really excited, but also a little anxious about the change in our family dynamic.


And finally, the room is in progress.  We have walls and a closet, plus the fireplace is gone.  The fireplace is being replaced with a custom bookshelf.  That husband, he's a talented one.  The green paint will not be staying.  We also have a crib {thanks Emo!} and a rug.  Reese's old glider is going to be reupholstered and we need to find a dresser. We may use Reese's dresser because it's the right height for a changing pad and then find him something new.

Obviously the best part of it all is this --


A healthy, growing LONG legged little boy. Now for a name...

2 comments:

Lauren said...

congratulations on baby boy #2! I hope you are feeling great!

Sara said...

It seems like your kids will have about the same amount of space between them as my kids. We absolutely love having an only child and we are also anxious about the change in our family dynamic. But as our due date approaches, we are definitely getting more and more excited about our new family of four. I think both of us are going to be the moms of some awesome big brothers! And, by the way, I am about to be 8 months pregnant and you are WAY more ahead of the game with your nursery than I am. Good for you! Congrats on baby boy #2!!!