Monday, November 24, 2008

Road Warriors

This weekend Reese and I traveled home to see the fam. We pretended it was because we really missed our Nonna and Buck (which was true but not the reason for the trip). We really just wanted to put as much distance between us and Lofton as possible. We love him a lot, but we do NOT like him on inventory weekend. It happens twice a year and puts him in a stinky mood. This is why all weekend whenever Reese and I would talk about Daddy we called him stinky Daddy.

Anyhoo, Lofton packed up the car on Wednesday night so I only had to add the essentials on Thursday. I should have taken a picture. As Dad pointed out yesterday when he re-packed the car so we could head home, there isn't going to be room for Lofton to have luggage when the three of us travel home for Christmas. You never know wheat you might need though. Luckily, Nonna has her own pack and play and stroller. We just had to take clothes, diapers, food, the bathtub, our activity mat, the bumpo seat, and my suitcase. It's a haul, but that's why God created SUV's (Just kidding Cassie and Hugh, obviously God didn't create gas guzzling SUV's).

After my check-up on Thursday morning, I fed Reese lunch plus extra and put him in his seat for the ride. It's worth noting that we had about a fifty percent chance of getting home without a lot of screaming in the car. Reese is a great car rider approximately half of the time. He started screaming when we left the house and I told myself as I pulled onto the interstate at Exit 58 that is he was still screaming at Exit 22 I would pull off and sit in the back with him until he fell asleep. * Does that seem like a long way to let him cry? * A short five minutes later he was napping, with his neck bent forward and head straight down. I didn't actually realize this was his position until I navigated through Montgomery traffic and looked in the rearview mirror. I wish I could have taken a picture. I called Lofton my mom for confirmation that Reese was A) safe in that position in the event of a crash and B) could breathe with his neck cocked at such an odd angle. They both said he was fine. Never the less I stopped at a rest stop in Greenville to be sure. We made it home a short 3 1/2 hours later.

Home was uneventful and wonderful. I don't get home very often, in fact I hadn't been home since July (and before that it was March). Mom and I took little man shopping for some warmer clothes. Yes his closet is well stocked, but unfortunately nothing fits right now. For such a child with a weight problem he is very slender. He wears 0-3 month pants even though he far exceeds the weight on the tag. I bought him his first pair of jeans. They are too cute!

Reese spent lots of time talking and smiling at Buck and Nonna. I got to eat a meal using both hands, not just one. And he even took a three hour nap on Saturday. It was fabulous.

Yesterday we loaded up and drove back to Opelika. The return trip was as uneventful as the trip down. He slept most of the way. We were cutting it close on mealtime though so once we got to Montgomery I kicked into high gear. I made it off the interstate before he woke up and to the Piggly Wiggly (which means nothing to you if you haven't been to our house) before the screaming started.

Tomorrow we head to the doctor for our shots. I wonder who will cry more? Me or Reese.

No comments: