Sunday, February 8, 2009

shots

As I mentioned on Thursday, Reese got his four month shots. It is the same series he got when he went for his two month shots.

Reese was fine on Thursday night and great for my mom on Friday. I gave him Tylenol yesterday when I fed him his early bottle at six, but then didn't continue during the day because I thought everything was clear.

Rookie mistake--should've kept up the Tylenol. Last night, Reese felt a little warm. When Cassie sat down to feed him around six, she mentioned he felt a little hot and so went and grabbed the Tylenol and the thermometer. I dosed him quickly and stuck the thermometer under his arm. I was more than a little alarmed to see the numbers rise so quickly, when it went over 100 degrees I started to have mild heart palpitations. He has never run a significant fever before. He had a low grade temp when he got the stomach virus, but nothing scary. I know that temps under the arm run a degree low, so to have a four month old with a temp of 101.5 was frightful.

I immediately got a cold washcloth to put on his head and called my mom. We monitored his temp for about forty five minutes and it barely budged. Reese however was acting perfectly normal. He wasn't abnormally cranky, there were no signs of lethargy or pupil dilation (Can you tell I went and grabbed my baby book?) At seven I gave in and paged Dr. Greer. He called me back four minutes later. After a brief recap of symptoms and behaviors he told me everything we were doing was perfect and to keep monitoring him for the signs I mentioned before. He said for some reason, some babies have a hard time with four months shots even though they had no problems with the same shots at two months. He said if his temp rose above 104 to call and he would meet us at the hospital.

We woke Reese up at ten to dose him before we went to bed. I checked him twice during the night (he was in our room so I just had to crawl to the end of the bed and peak in his crib) to make sure he was breathing.

He seems to be his normal bi-polar self today. We took a long nap in our bed this afternoon and I even gave him a tiny bit of juice when he woke up. I still can't belive my baby drinks juice and eats from a spoon. Can time just stop right here?

(new post below)

No comments: