There is no turning back. We are officially potty training. I can already tell that this will not be Lofton and I’s most fun parenting adventure ever. It pretty much ranks up there with traveling on car trips with Reese. Long, torturous, and full of tears.
You see, I’m fairly sure Reese would be content to wear diapers forever, simply because taking time out of his busy day to go potty is just devastating. Whenever I tell him {every thirty minutes} that it’s time to try and potty he yells at me, “No Mama. Just wait!” If I followed his commands, we’d be “just waiting” until first grade. So forge ahead we will…
We did purchase underwear yesterday. Reese selected both Thomas the Train and Spiderman. Don’t ask me how he knows about Spiderman, but he wanted them and I obliged. He promptly requested a pair to wear when we got home, and then just as quickly drowned poor Spiderman with tee-tee. Shoot.
After dinner, we tried Thomas. I explained that Thomas did not like being wet. In fact, Thomas would be so sad if we got him wet that Mama and Daddy-O would have to put Thomas in the trash.
Evidently Reese responds to my guilt tactics because he kept Thomas dry until bedtime. We made four successful potty attempts between five and eight. The little stinker kept saying “I so excited for myself!” Now if we can only keep him thinking Thomas hates to be wet…
For school he's wearing pull-ups. He actually did really well yesterday and even better today. I attribute this to what is commonly referred to as "peer pressure." Yes, my child is a follower. The twins are wearing underwear, Thayer and Rankin are also going potty, and now Reese has decided to follow suit. Whatever. I'm down if it makes this process go more smoothly.
And although many will probably cringe when they read this-- I BELIEVE IN TREATS AND PRIZES {i.e. bribes}. I am not ashamed. Not one bit. Reese gets either two gummies or a sucker every time he successfully goes potty. No worries, we are brushing our teeth really well before bed.
And that, my friends, is a synopsis of our last few days.
The beginning of the end of babyhood.
Why is growing up so damn depressing?
No comments:
Post a Comment