Friday, August 8, 2014

kindergarten {reese}

Reese started Kindergarten yesterday.




There is so much weight and emotion wrapped up in that one little sentence that I truly don't know where to begin.

How did we get here?  Did I blink and miss the last five years flying by?  He's really old enough for real school? Mandatory, required school.  It feels heavy to me.  Like this a huge, huge deal.  And it is.

We met his teacher on Tuesday afternoon.  She is wonderful.  Sweet and bubbly and crafty and all the good things you think about when you think about a kindergarten teacher.  We've heard nothing but amazing things about her so I'm excited to see what the year holds for him.  I've wanted so badly for this experience to be a positive one for Reese.

He bound out of bed yesterday morning and jumped into my arms while exclaiming "Today is the day I get to go to Kindergarten!"  I would have cried if he wasn't so darn happy.  We loaded up to go, all of us, which in itself was a big deal.  You see I've lamented for YEARS that I wouldn't get to walk him in on the first day of kindergarten, I'd always be at my own school greeting my own new kiddos.  But God winked at us and gave this family a baby a few months later than we planned resulting in a well timed maternity leave :)  Funny how that happens.

So in we walked, our family of four, to take a picture with his teacher and see him line up with his new classmates.  I held it together surprisingly well.  In fact, I didn't cry at all until I went into his room to gather his dirty clothes to wash.  Then I lost it.  Luckily there was no one to witness the ridiculousness of me crying into Reese's dirty clothes.  I fully realize if I was at work I wouldn't be feeling this way, but being home affords me the opportunity to experience the stillness of the house without my favorite companion.  It's quiet and I'm missing him.

But he had an AMAZING day.  He loved every minute of being there and was excited to go back this morning.  It's also Friday so DUH Chick Fil A breakfast with Daddy is back. What did Jack and I do this morning?  We went to Target, of course. I was the third grade teacher on maternity leave wearing my baby while buying wine and laundry detergent at eight in the morning.

No comments: