Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Eight months. Where have the days gone?

Reese is growing in more ways than one. Obviously size is no issue here. Lofton has taken to calling him little big man. Which if funny, but so true. carrying him around is a workout.

The past week of being home with him has been both a blessing and a curse. I really didn’t think I’d love it as much as I do.

We are working on taking two good naps a day, at pretty regular times, as opposed to whenever he feels like it. So far so good with this plan. He seems to be adjusting to the new schedule well. I had to tweak his bottle times but that hasn’t been an issue either. I can promise you that we would know if he was upset with his eating schedule!

This more structured nap schedule has lead to the one thing Lofton and I have been waiting for forever… SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT. I didn’t think the day would ever come. When Reese was born people would say “feed him more” or “when he weighs more he’ll sleep through the night”- yeah, whatever. My favorite was, “at twelve pounds he should sleep through the night.” Seriously??? My kid weighed twelve pounds at five weeks old.

The other big change the past month has been this dynamic personality. Reese has the charm of his daddy and the temperament of us both. He can be so funny, so sweet, and such a flirt with the ladies. Then without notice he turns into a growling, grunting, yelling firecracker.

If you are a frequent reader, you know that Reese has terrible allergies. Because of this I wipe his nose. Often. Maybe too often, but I can’t stand the thought of snot on his face. He gets super annoyed with my nose wiping and so his new favorite trick is to purse his lips and blow spit in my face.

Trick number two? Trying to grab the spoon while we are feeding him. Or Lofton’s personal favorite, sticking his fingers in his mouth BEFORE he swallows his food. This morning he did it multiple times. Finally I gently grabbed his hand and firmly said “no.” The waterworks ensued.

I’ve had to use the dreaded two letter word on more than one occasion lately and it usually results in his tears. I’m not so sure about this phase of parenting. I’m pretty sure discipline is not an area I’m going to be good at. Can you put your kid in silent lunch? Send him to the principal? What about Block Suspension? Probably not.

Some real tricks we’ve developed? Almost crawling, being able to sit up from lying down, and pulling up on everything. He would also prefer to pick up random pieces of dirt or dog hair off the floor rather than play with his toys. This age is so much fun for us. Lofton and I love to watch Reese play. You can tell he is thinking, studying his toys, paying attention to everything around him. I’ve really been bumping up our reading. Shakespeare. Steinbeck. Homer.

Capturing pictcures was difficult this morning. Bunky is quite the squirmer!




No comments: