Thursday, March 11, 2010

crazy lady

Bad news, friends. Reese has an ear infection. I can hear it now:: You are all yelling, “WHAT?!!?”
I yelled too. First at the receptionist who couldn’t figure out how to make an appointment or give me a phone number and then at the nurse who wasn’t going to let me see the doctor.

Luckily, our doctor saw me making a scene and ushered me back to a room—pronto.

It all started when I picked Reese up from school yesterday. He was short one boot so I sat on the floor to wrestle it back on. My eye was in direct line with his right ear {his yucky ear}. I was a little taken a back to see it clogged full of wax and what looked like thick green snot. You see, I check his ears religiously for signs of obstruction, and until yesterday there had been none.

I knew what I was seeing was not “our normal.” As we pulled out of the school parking lot {his school, not mine}, I called the Pediatric Clinic.

I politely asked the nurse if our doctor was working. Her response, “It’s four o’clock.” No joke lady, I can tell time, that is NOT what I asked you. I asked my question again, albeit not as politely. She told me yes he was working but in the Auburn office. “Does he have any appointments left this afternoon?,” I asked. The nurse said she couldn’t tell me because her computer was down.

At this point I’ve pulled over to the side of the road. It seemed silly to continue driving toward Opelika when I knew the doctor was in Auburn, although I still didn’t know if he could see us.

I then ask for the number to the Auburn office. She tells me she can’t give it to me—they don’t take appointment calls.

Well, heck. What’s a girl to do?

Turn the car around, drive to the Auburn office, and insist the doctor see her oozy eared son.

The nurse at the Auburn office was not very friendly either, but at this point I was almost in crazy mama mode. Luckily, Dr. Glaze saw me and we were shortly thereafter escorted to a room.

The result::

An ear infection- probably caused by his allergies. He has had a very yucky nose and as usual it drained into his ears. The only saving grace is that the tubes are causing the infection {i.e. green stuff} to drain out of his ears, not into his ear canal. We hope this stays true. We have been prescribed some antibiotic drops and if things don’t look better by Monday we’ll start an oral antibiotic too.

The doctor also switched his allergy medicine and upped the dosage to accommodate his increased weight. We have been on the same dosage/medicines since last April. Clearly Reese has grown since that time!

Speaking of growth…

My chunky monkey is not really getting huskier but he is getting taller. The doctor could tell without even measuring and his jeans are looking a wee bit “flood-like.”


Dear Spring,

Please arrive soon. I refuse to buy more pants.

Love,

E

1 comment:

Natalie said...

oh goodness e!!!! i would be so annoyed. "tubes? what tubes?!?"

i am still waiting for bennett to hit the "taller without huskier" growth spurt. his weight seems to keep up with his height quite well

who am i kidding - husky babies rock :)