Monday, March 1, 2010

is it spring break yet

I hate when I end up doing a weekend recap… they sound so uninspired, but if elementary school has a “busy season” I’m in the midst of it now. Preparing these little minds for the blizzard of standardized testing is getting the best of me and consuming my every thought. I apologize.



Reese did fabulously the remainder of the week {last week} and was equally as happy when I dropped him off today. I guess he has figured out that I’m eventually going to come back. He walks in like he owns the place and blows me kisses when I walk out. It has helped lessen my anxiety—a smidgen.

His little brain amazes me. I shouldn’t be surprised, but he is quite the clever stinker. Without thinking, I always remind him to say please. It is part of my southern way, I suppose. I’ve done it since he was an infant. A few weeks ago, when “peas” become a part of his vernacular, I never imagined it would come back to bite me in the butt.

Now all I hear is “peas”:: when he wants to drink out of my cup, when he wants to hold my bracelet, when he wants a snack {i.e. marshmallows} from the cabinet. I’m a sucker for a southern gentleman so I generally give in. His future bride will appreciate his manners.



We are barreling headfirst into this whole discipline thing. I only thought infancy was the hard stage. Sheesh. As my mom so gently told me on Saturday afternoon, “He’s testing you.” Yep. Got it.

When he looks me dead in the face, grabs a handful of dirt from the plant, and throws it on my freshly vacuumed floor—he’s testing me. And when he slings his food onto the dining room rug because he doesn’t want to eat it—he’s testing me. Again. I’m ashamed to say he went to bed having only eaten a few crackers for dinner last night. I was tired of fighting the battle.

Clearly he is also testing the strength of my hand. It’s getting a workout. And it is really making me lose sleep over how to be the “best” parent.

I want to cultivate his curiosity and stimulate his mind:: I also want to tame his sass and teach him right from wrong. It's a hard line to walk-- much harder than anticipated.


In other news:

Boo Boo and I went to the ENT today to have his tubes checked. His ears look perfect. We are still going to be referred to AU for a hearing analysis, but mainly to ease Lofton and I's mind, not because Dr. Whatley thinks something is wrong. I am so relieved that this loooooooong ordeal is finally over. Maybe I can actually start to accrue some sick days!

1 comment:

Confessions said...

we are SOOOO there with the discipline thing. Little One is really pushing the envelope. I haven't had to slap her hand the past few days, but now we've developed a whiney cry when we don't get what we want. Surely this is a phase. TELL ME THIS IS A PHASE!! good luck, keep strong! we can handle this. :)