Tuesday, August 17, 2010

back to the real world

This time of year I slip into robot mode.  I'm really no fun.  My mind is focused on work, work, things that need to be done, work, Reese, and some more work.  Something about the sweltering August heat makes it worse.  Although I can happily report that my class seems to be survivable {as in I might not need to pour a glass of wine upon immediately entering the house}, I still spend my days cramming knowledge into their brains and helping them to adjust to a new {and bigger} environment.  

This routine leaves me little time for phone chats, me time, or cooking.

As much as I love to cook {and bake}, the beginning of the school year is not the time for me to emulate Julia Child.  I mean who am I kidding?  

That being said, I like to whip up something hearty and satisfying on Sunday afternoons that will appease Lofton until at least Tuesday.  Love that husband of mine who LOVES him some leftovers.

Sunday I modified a yummy chicken casserole recipe to include shrimp not chicken.  Why?  Because I had shrimp on hand.  

Here goes::

Ingredients:
  • 2 bags of frozen peeled and de-veined medium sized shrimp {thawed}
  • 1 box of chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
  • 1 can of cream of celery soup {I use fat free}
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup white wine or lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • cooked rice
The first thing to do is par-cook the shrimp.  I boil them for about two minutes in salty water.  You don't want them over-cooked, as they will continue to cook in the oven.  Drain the shrimp then mix all the ingredients together.  Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.  

It's that easy.  And I can say that because while making it I ran Reese to potty eight times.  I mixed the cooked rice into the casserole for convenience but you could certainly serve it over the rice.  Curry gives this boring casserole a new kick!

Enjoy!



No comments: