A sweet child in my room gave me a gift certificate many moons ago, and so to kick start my summer reading drive I went to Books A Million over the weekend.
What did I snag?
First up, is this book:

I’m not one for following parenting books to the letter, but I do like to read parenting books as a resource. I totally believe in following my instincts—such as they are. However, as comfortable as I am taking care of a child {feeding, bathing, loving}, this whole discipline thing kind of throws me for a loop. I solicited some opinions from other parents/friends and this book came highly recommended.
Next was this:

The author is from Jackson, Mississippi, and I love a southern gal! I’ve read rave reviews and I’m excited to start reading—but first I’ve got to finish book number three…
This:

Oh Laura, I’m smitten. Not to get overly political {although I can if you’d like}, but I love Laura and George. Presidency aside {for neutrality sake}, I admire their deep faith, their devotion to family, and their commitment to each other.
This book is a CAN’T PUT DOWN. The first half covers Laura’s life growing up, her courtship with GW, and their political beginnings. The second half covers their life from 9/11 onward.
The book divulges so many interesting tidbits about their lives during that frightening time and moving forward. I’ve been moved to tears more than once and I’m not even a “book” crier.
Lofton has actually asked me when my “affair” with Laura is going to be over. I think he’s jealous.
3 comments:
I'm going to get The Help with my own gift certificate. Now I think I might need to get the Laura Bush book, too. I am also currently reading Bringing Up Boys by Dr. Dobson. I am not much a parent by the book kind of a person either, but there are some really interesting things in this one about how raising boys is different from raising little girls. I also got Bringing Up Girls, so I will learn how to raise SF next!! Ha!!
I'm on Chapter 3 of The Help, and it's already wonderful!
I love how she writes!
I have a long list of books I'm going to tackle this summer also. I'm reading "The Christian Atheist" right now, but next on my list is "Fear Not Tomorrow, For God is Already There" by Ruth Graham. Maybe we could have a "book swap" this summer, just a thought. Let me know what you think.
Post a Comment