I have a horrible, terrible secret to spill. Monday at the grocery store I bought a giant box of mini corn dogs for Reese. That’s right--I’ve started to cave under the pressure of toddler-dom. It gets even worse. When I got home I didn’t even follow the “recommended” heating method. I used the microwave. He practically beat on the table begging for more!
Try as I might to stuff my growing boy with healthy nutritious food, the junky kid-pleasing stuff keeps creeping into his diet. I take full responsibility, too.
Lofton and I were pretty proud of our healthy, eat anything we put in front of him, eater. And then salmonella struck. It’s as if eating nothing but peanut butter sandwiches for three weeks cleansed his healthy palate. Now he prefers spaghettio’s, easy mac, and corn dogs to edamame, grilled chicken, and homemade veggie-loaded pizza.
We try, oh how we try, to push the healthy stuff on him. We attempt to make him eat what we eat BUT sometimes I just have to throw in the proverbial towel.
I will say it could be worse. Peanut butter on wheat bread sandwiches shouldn’t clog his little arteries anytime soon. And he does still eat ungodly amounts of grapes, bananas, and oranges. His almond milk is chock full of goodness, and we can occasionally sway him to eat scrambled eggs.
I just hope he doesn’t turn into one of those kids that will only eat French fries… or even worse, beanie weenies. {That one’s for you, Mom.}
No comments:
Post a Comment