Reese and I are were going to take a blog vacation while we spent time in Pensacola but this story is too funny to not share immediately!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday morning I packed the car full of all our "gear." That in itself was quite the adventure. Reese requires a lot of stuff- food, entertainment, bath things, etc...
I had carefully timed our departure to coincide with what i anticipated to be Reese's lengthy morning nap. We left at exactly 8:30a.m.. Being the genius that I am I KNEW that he was tired and would sleep until we got to Greenville, Alabama. I then planned to stop somewhere (no Mom, not on the side of the road, but thanks for the reminder of how unsafe that is) and feed him/let him stretch his legs.
My carefully crafted plan started beautifully. We made a quick pit stop at Chik-Fil-A for a large diet coke and hit the interstate. Reese was asleep before we made it to the Auburn exit (for you non Auburn people that's less than 10 miles). Unfortunately, he woke up a short 20 minutes later. Ironically as we passed the Shorter exit. He was content to sit and stare out the window for about ten minutes, then the shrieking started.
He screamed ALL THE WAY through the hell that is Montgomery traffic. All the while I kept talking to him, assuring him that he was fine and that "Mama is going to stop as soon as she can." As soon as she can was the Pintlala exit, about 25 minutes after the screaming ensued.
I hoped in the back seat and whipped him out of his seat, popped the top of a bottle, and stuck it in his mouth. He still would not stop screaming. Evidently, the prince has decided he doesn't drink cold bottles. I then laid him on the seat, opened a brand new container of formula, dug for a bottle, and made him a new, room temp bottle. He drank it in no time. I changed him and we talked HAPPILY for a few minutes before I had to put him back in his seat. Literally as I lowered his body he started screaming again. I really was left with no other option than to continue driving. We obviously couldn't stay at Exit 177 forever.
Your probably waiting for the funny part.... it's coming...
As I drive, Reese screams in the back, and I sing songs from the ipod. As we are nearing Exit 130, a Randy Travis song, "Look Heart, No Hands", comes on. The screams diminish to a whimper. After that song the next up is "Rehab" from Rihanna. The screams begin again. I flip back to Randy Travis. The screams once again diminish. By the third go round of "Look Heart, No Hands" he is asleep. I kid you not. It was unbelievable. We listened to it eight times before I decided he was napping deeply enough to move on to another song.
Of course I had to call Lofton. He was delighted that old country music is what put Reese to sleep. When Reese came home from the hospital Lofton would sing old George Strait songs to him when he rocked him. Clearly Reese remembered.
First on my shopping list this morning is a Randy Travis CD for the ride home. I'm going to need a little variety.
1 comment:
Um, this is a top three Reese story. That baby knows his roots. Love you.
Post a Comment