Monday, February 15, 2010

adjusting to a new morning routine

Settling into a new schedule is sure to take a few days at the Beasley house.
Here is a glimpse into our first go at it---

As we prepared for bed last night, I reminded Lofton to iron his clothes before he got in bed so that he A) wouldn’t have to do it in the AM and B) I could make sure they matched. He complained about ironing and asked if we could have Aunt Linda come back soon.

Sweet husband reminded me to set my alarm so I could “sleep in until 5:45.” I laughed. Long ago I realized Lofton sounds like an elephant trying to perform ballet in the mornings. No matter how hard he tries, he cannot be quiet. Not even a little bit. My mornings from here on out will begin earlier.

After he left the bedroom {it took him a few tries to get out the door} I drug myself to the shower and began the process of getting ready. I listened to the news by myself, ironed my own pants, and then had no one to tell me if I looked “cute.” It was a little sad.

I got Reese up a few minutes earlier than usual and in a ridiculously chipper voice talked about how great it was going to be to go to school with Mama. I sang all the way to daycare about how fun it was going to be to play with friends and eat snacks. Reese helped me hang up his bag like a big boy and then I dropped him off with Ms. Tracy in his old room.

Everything went fabulously until he realized I was leaving him. Our fun morning screeched to an abrupt halt, the angels quit singing, and all hell crashed down around us. It wasn’t pretty, but I put on my big girl panties, dried my own tears, and left him wailing with a cookie. Yes that’s right. I took cookies for him just in case.

When I got to work I sent Lofton the following email::

Dear Hubs,

I hope you sell lots of lumber stuff at your new job cause taking little man to school is a not so fabulous way to start my day. I’m probably going to need a gift to make it better.

Love,

E

I’m 100% serious about that gift thing.

And I’m hoping tomorrow this gets better.

2 comments:

Morgan Sport said...

That sounds a lot like our mornings, except Dow leaves at 4:30 and sounds like a marching band while doing it. He has to pack all his stuff the night before and leave from the basement :)

Confessions said...

I hear ya! I am so fortunate that the hubs drops off Little One. Although she's not to the scream-cause-they're-leaving-me stage, I'm just glad I get to see that smile when I pick her up!

Good luck with the gift, keep us all posted!