We like to separate our projects into two categories: those we can easily afford {and that can be done in a short amount of time} and those that must be saved for/financed {more on that later}.
The projects Lofton accomplished this weekend fell into the first category.
Before I make the big reveal, I’ll remind you of a few things:
1) When we bought our house EVERY room was grey with the exception of our eggplant colored dining room. I quickly picked out paint colors and the rooms were transformed in a span of two weeks. Needless to say the old adage about living in your house before you make design decisions held true. I don’t love all the colors I initially picked out. We are making changes as needed J
2) Our decorating/remodeling budget was slashed tremendously when we introduced little Boo into our house. It is just now starting to re-coup.
And now the reveal!
First, Lofton made a headboard for Reese’s bed. I was inspired by a tutorial I found online. We found the fabric in Montgomery, and with a little help from the staple gun, my dream became a reality.
In keeping with Reese’s room makeover, Lofton also hung a few new pictures on the walls. I have another print on order, as well.
After we took down Reese’s original headboard {which came from the salvation army and has moved with me 4 times}, Lofton cut it down and used the spindles to make legs for our new desk. We trashed the skirted desk because our air vents couldn’t circulate properly.
This crafty move was actually my brain child and I’m pretty darn impressed with myself. We still have to paint the desk and finish the edges with some trim, but all in all I’m very satisfied.
Lastly, Lofton popped up the molding in the dining room. We are “paneling” the walls to make the room a little more visually appealing.
The wall color, rug, and floor were all too similar in tone for me. The paneling will be white, the walls are going to be a lovely shade of creamy green, and the curtains are going to be a dramatic navy silk.
I’m most excited about this room transformation. We actually use our dining room a lot.
After the painting inside is complete, hubs is moving outside to tackle a bigger {more expensive} project: painting the house.
It wasn’t at the top of our “big project” list, but someone got a little overzealous with the chainsaw and hacked off the bushes. Now vast portions of our hundred year old abode are exposed to the neighbors and I just can’t take it. I knew painting the house would happen eventually and Lofton just accelerated the need.
We’ve picked out the color {with some help from our friends and neighbors} and it’s even been purchased. It cost a huge chunk of change but we bought the best, hoping it will last a long while.
And so, on the verge of our third house anniversary, we are still making changes. It’s a labor of love, this house of ours—hard, tedious labor {which I know a little about}, but definitely worth the pain.
No comments:
Post a Comment