Thursday, April 1, 2010

quick thinking

I actually wrote this last week, but almost the exact same thing happened again today---

Did you ever watch the television show MacGyver? I did. He was so clever, that guy. Always using his wits and brain to get himself out of sticky situations.

Well, when we were waiting on the ENT yesterday, we had a little MacGyver moment of our own.

While waiting in one our room yesterday, Reese decided to sneak into the corner and do some business. You know… the stinky, unpleasant business. Of course, mom of the year has a diaper but no wipes.

Well, what’s a girl to do?

I couldn’t leave him in that confined space with a smelly bottom, so I started digging through drawers. No wipes BUT I did find some gauze. It felt soft enough.

I stripped Reese down, wet the gauze pads, and went to work changing him. Then I realized—I have a terribly smelly diaper in my hand. Where am I going to put it?

Trash can? Nope— there wasn’t one.

I briefly considered the bio-waste container, but then ruled it out too.

I just so happened to have a pest control bill in my purse, and it just so happens to come in a small plastic sleeve. I stuffed the diaper in the sleeve, tied off the top, and stuck it in my purse to dispose of at home.

So, I wrote that last week, but he stinkied again today at the ENT. I was slightly more prepared, as in I had wipes. But I still had to tie the thing up-- lucky for me there were latex gloves handy!

Health update: Reese's adenoid removal is scheduled for Wednesday, April 21st. We will have to stay the night in the hospital, but I'm perfectly fine with that. The most common complication for children Reese's age {eighteen months tomorrow, yikes!} is dehydration from refusal to eat. Lofton and I both feel that in the hospital he will be much more likely to not have that complication.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading your stories, you're a great writer.
I found these "trash bags" at Target in the baby section in a cute dispenser. Your bag wouldn't stink and you would have a place to put the stinky diapers! I always get them for baby showers :))