I took my stinker to the dentist last week. And in his very honest words, "It not go so good."
For the second visit in a row Reese did not get his teeth cleaned. This time, though, instead of quietly refusing, he put on a show. It was complete with yelling {i'd rather take a nap!!!-- so random}, running down the hall, and rolling around on the floor.
Our sweet hygienist assured me she had seen much worse. In fact, she said some kids act like that when they're ten. Fingers crossed Reese will grow out of this soon. While I realize that other children exhibit these unfortunate behaviors, our child rarely does. I was mortified and a little bit in shock.
As usual, he was unable to be bribed. I've come to realize no amount of cohersion is ever going to work on him. Nor threat of injury. Do you know what he told me when we got home? Mama, if you want to a spank me so you feel better, you can. Oh okay, Reese, thanks.
Instead I made him watch me throw away his juice boxes and fruit snacks. They are his two favorite treats. He cried. Lofton and I told him later that night that when he's ready to go back and get his teeth cleaned he can have fruit snacks again. Until then, no gummy treats.
Tough love-- Coming to you soon on the next episode of Dr. Phil.

2 comments:
I am cry-laughing at Reese offering to let you spank him. I am seriously in love with that child.
Seriously, that child says the best things. Wonder how long until he caves in from fruit snack wanting.
Post a Comment