Tuesday, July 20, 2010

tales of an exasperated mother

Reese didn't nap yesterday.  He tricked me into thinking he was napping, but alas, no sleep was ever on his afternoon agenda.  Whining was on his agenda.  Hitting me with golf clubs?  Also on the agenda.  Yelling for "nacks" "NACKS, MAMA!!!!" until I cave and give him fruit snacks?  Yep, did that too.

I just can't handle no nap.  Especially when I'm not 100%.  Like by the time Lofton got home from work I was crying.  Real tears. 

I count on naps to rest my aching throat... and shower... and play on the computer...

Today that is NOT going to happen.  We took a little field trip this morning {all part of my wear him out plan} to Earthfare, the new organic grocery store in Auburn.  

Before I go into details it's worth noting that this summer has been a goldmine of exciting grocery store adventures for me.  Publix and now Earthfare?  The grocery gods' have been raining down on me!

So, we went to Earthfare.  It's like a Whole Foods, but smaller, and it was so exciting!  We picked up a few essentials, because I was too lazy to drive to Kroger too, and some delicious chicken salad that I'm going to try and eat for lunch.  Because if i have to eat any more pudding I'm going to slit my wrist. 

I called Lofton when I left {to share my excitement} and he made lots of funny jokes about me buying organic milk and eggs.  Whatever Lofton.  When you live an extra twenty years because I've saved you from pesticides...

AND now, a recipe and a confession.  I have a banana saving problem.  My freezer is stocked full of brown bananas.  

You see, sometimes I buy produce just so it looks pretty on the counter.  

As a result we have lots of bananas we don't eat.  When they start to turn I just throw them in the freezer.  Hence why yesterday there were over a dozen frozen bananas in my freezer.  I thought it was high time I baked some banana bread.  Yummy for snacks and breakfast.  Lucky Ashley even got to take home a loaf.  See?  When you bring cute babies for me to snuggle and smell you are rewarded with baked goods.

Yummy, delicious, and semi-healthy banana bread
{adapted from Cooking Light}

Ingredients:
6 overly-ripe bananas, mashed {and in my case thawed}
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 small container of nonfat vanilla yogurt
4 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two loaf pans with cooking spray.

Cream the butter and sugars together.  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.  Add the yogurt and bananas.  Mix until combined.  Set aside.

Sift together four, salt, and baking soda.

Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients.  Do not over mix.  I actually barely mix it with the electric mixer, then finish it by hand.  {At this point you could also stir in chopped walnuts or pecans.}

Divide batter into the two loaf pans and bake for 55- 65 minutes.  
-----------------

Super easy and super delicious. And a super way to use the frozen bananas that sometimes fall out and crush your husband's toes.

No comments: